Before you move NVivo for Windows to a new computer, make sure you have your full 25 character NVivo license key handy. You will find the key in the email you received from QSR (if you downloaded the software) or on the packaging (if you purchased the physical installation media – USB flash drive or DVD). If you’re using NVivo as part of an enterprise license, your organization’s enterprise license contact should be able to provide you with this key.
Deactivating your license
To transfer NVivo from one computer to another, firstly deactivate the license on the original computer. To do this:
1. Make sure that you are connected to the Internet.
2. If you have an NVivo project open, you must close the project before you can deactivate the license.
- New NVivo – Click on the File menu, Product Info, Manage License and click Deactivate License.
- NVivo 12 (Windows) and NVivo 11 for Windows – Click on the File tab, point to Help, point to Manage License and click Deactivate License. Note: If you are using an older version of NVivo 11 for Windows, instructions to deactivate are the same as NVivo 10 for Windows below.
- NVivo 10 for Windows – Click the File tab, point to Help, and then click Deactivate License.
3. Click Yes to confirm. NVivo deactivates the license and displays a message to confirm that the license has been deactivated.
4. Click OK. The NVivo application automatically closes.
Re-installing and activating your software
To re-install NVivo on your new computer, we recommend you download the most recent version of our software which can be found at: https://www.qsrinternational.com/support_downloads.aspx
Once the software is installed on your new computer, when you open NVivo for the first time you will need to enter and activate your license.
Moving existing projects
Once you’ve installed the NVivo software on your new computer, you may also wish to move your existing NVivo projects to the new computer. There are two ways for you to do this:
1. Launch NVivo 11 and at the Start screen click the File tab, then select Copy Project; If using NVivo 10, click the File tab, point to Manage, then select Copy Project; OR
2. Using Windows Explorer, locate your NVivo project file and copy it to the intended location.
Note: NVivo 11 for Windows is the most recent version of NVivo. Projects created in earlier versions of NVivo can be opened and worked with in NVivo 11. However, projects created in NVivo 11 cannot be opened in previous versions of NVivo.