Moving or backing up a project in NVivo for Windows is made simple thanks to the efficient storage of the project database and documents within a single project file. If you want to move or back up data files, your NVivo 10 project will remain intact.
There are two ways to copy an NVivo 11 or 10 project for the purposes of moving the project or to back it up.
To make a copy of a project in NVivo when the project is open:
- Save the project.
- NVivo 10: Click on the File tab, point to Manage then choose Copy Project. NVivo 11: Click on the File tab, then choose Copy Project.
- The Copy to Project File dialog is displayed.
- In the File name field, enter a name for the project file.
- Click Save.
To make a copy of a project in NVivo when the project is closed:
- On the NVivo 10 Welcome screen, click on the File tab, point to Manage then choose Copy Project. OR on the NVivo 11 Start screen, click on the File tab and choose Copy Project.
- The Copy Project dialog is displayed.
- Click on the Copy Project ‘Browse’ button to navigate to where your project is located.
- Click on the project file (the name will appear in the File name field) then click Open. You are returned to the Copy Project dialog.
- Click on the To Location ‘Browse’ button to navigate to where you want to copy your project.
- Enter the name you want to use for your copy project file in the File name field then click Save. You are returned to the Copy Project dialog.
- Click OK to complete the copy of your project.
To make a copy of a project in Windows Explorer:
- Ensure your project is closed.
- Open Windows Explorer.
- Locate the NVivo project you want to copy.
- Select the project file, click Edit and then click Copy.