The Framework method is a qualitative data analysis technique developed by the UK’s largest, independent not-for-profit research institute, the National Centre for Social Research (NatCen).
While NVivo has always supported a wide range of research methodologies, Software released since September 2011 enables you to conduct Framework analysis using NVivo’s new framework matrices.
NVivo’s framework matrix is a grid that provides a way to summarize source materials by case (for example, people you interviewed) and theme.
Summarizing source content allows you to reduce large volumes of interview material for example, into more manageable quantities. It also helps you to get familiar with your data and glean insight from it. Working with summarized source materials in the framework matrix can make it easier to:
- See how different themes relate to each other
- See how different themes relate to each other for a particular case or entity
- See everything about a theme by looking down a column
- Compare the experiences of different individuals
- Share your data with others—you can print or export the framework matrix
To learn more about this new feature refer to Help in your NVivo Software.