Depending on the error message you are receiving please follow the relevant steps below to resolve the issue:
Invalid license key
The license key that was entered is not valid. Please check the key and try againThis error could be due to one of the below two reasons:
1. The key being entered is for a different version of NVivo for Mac.
Please ensure you are entering the license key in the correct version of NVivo for Mac. Each version of NVivo for Mac (Version 10, 11 and 12) require a different license key.
The license key’s first section describes which version the license key is designed for.
- If the license key has “10” in the first five characters, for example NXX10-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX it can only activate NVivo 10 for Mac.
- If the license key has “11” in the first five characters, for example NXX11-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX it can only activate NVivo for Mac (Version 11).
- If the license key has “12” in the first five characters, for example NXX12-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX it can only activate NVivo 12 Mac.
You can download the correct version of NVivo for Mac that corresponds to your license key from Download QSR Software section of our website.
2. The license key has been entered incorrectly
Please copy and paste the license key to avoid any typing errors.
Note: Pay careful attention to differentiate between:
- Number zero (Ø) and the alphabet O
- Number one (1) and the alphabet I
- Number two (2) and the alphabet Z
If the issue persists, press Command + Shift + 3 to take a screenshot which shows the license key entered in NVivo for Mac. A screen shot image of the current screen display will be created and saved in your Desktop. Please submit a support request form with the image file attached.
You can find the download link for NVivo for Mac in the section Download QSR Software.
Invalid License Key
This license key has been used
This error could be due to one of the below two reasons:
1. When extending the license, the license key entered is the same license key that NVivo for Mac is currently installed with.
You are unable to extend with the license key that NVivo for Mac is currently installed with. Follow these steps to note down the license key and compare it to the license key you are using to extend.
- Launch NVivo
- Choose NVivo > About NVivo (If using NVivo 12 Mac, select, NVivo 12 > About NVivo)
The first 20 characters of the license key are displayed. Make a note of these characters.
If the first 20 characters are the same, you will need to obtain the correct license key. If you are unsure of where to obtain the correct license key, please submit a support request form for assistance.
2. The key being entered to extend is not the correct replacement for the license key in the Software.
This issue usually happens when extending with a license key that belongs to an organization or a University that is on an enterprise wide license contract. New enterprise license keys are issued every 1 to 3 years depending on the enterprise. Users who need to extend the expiry of their NVivo for Mac installation can only do so by entering the newly issued replacement enterprise license key.
Please submit a support request form and provide us the license key you are using to extend. Also provide the license key that NVivo for Mac is currently installed with. The first 20 characters of the currently installed NVivo for Mac license key can be obtained from the About NVivo message box.